Whole House Air Purifier Ratings: A comparison of the best in whole house air cleaning
When it comes to whole house air purifiers there are a variety of choices. We will present the options that are available to you with tips on how to choose and what to look for.
Low Cost Air Filters from the Store
- Best for: protecting the HVAC equipment.
- What it Filters: Not rated to filter any of the smallest particles that trigger as asthma or allergies. Typically rated for less than 50% of the larger sized dust particles.
- Higher efficiency filters may be too restrictive to the air flow and cause the air handler to work harder than it should.
- Filters should be replaced every 2-3 months otherwise they can create additional air flow resistance that will cause your HVAC to run more often and work harder.
- The air is only being filtered while the system is running
- Limited effectiveness in removing pollen, fine dust, mold
- Advantage is low cost however can result in high energy costs in running HVAC system if not replaced regularly
Install Whole House Air Filter at Air Handler of HVAC
- Best for: General air quality for a large area but not to address allergies, asthma, smoke or odors.
- What it Filters: Not rated to filter any of the smallest particles that trigger as asthma or allergies. Typically rated for 80% or more of the larger sized dust particles.
- Requires installation by a HVAC technician
- The air is only being filtered while the system is running. Most people set their thermostats to only run when the HVAC system is heating or cooling and this is a change that you would have to make in order to have clean air throughout the day and year.
- Very quiet
- Lower performance than a HEPA air purifier so less effective for allergies and asthma.
- Can result in higher energy costs to run HVAC constantly
Room Air Purifiers
- Best for: allergens, fine dust, mold, asthma, smoke, odors
- What it Filters: 90%+ of the smallest particles that trigger as asthma or allergies and 100% of the larger sized dust particles.
- A high-end HEPA air purifier will deliver cleaner air for a given room provided it is sized properly
- Not as quiet as whole house systems
- In most cases only cleans one room
- No installation
Most Popular Whole House Air Purifiers:
AllerAir Whole House Air Handler Review
Oransi Erik Ultra Air Purifier (portable)
Trane Whole House Air Purifier Ratings
Trion Whole House Air System Reviews
See how the whole house air purifiers compare to the listing of top rated air purifiers.